In my Word 2016, I used huge number of Macros, autocorrects and auto text which are saved in the Normal template. Suddenly the template has been wiped without my intervention and reset to a factory default, as a result I lost all my settings, macros etc. Since I am new to this kind of situation, I don’t know how to resolve it. So can anybody please help me to recover my Word template… thanks in advance.
To recover the content, you need to restore the Normal template. For that, follow below given steps:
- First close Microsoft Word application
- Then, press Windows + R and type %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates and press Enter
(You are now looking at the Templates that Word use)
Let’s save a backup of this normal template just in case
- Rename the “Normal.dotm” file by right-clicking it, selecting “Rename,” and typing in the new name say “NormalBeforeRestore.dotm”
- Choose the file you want to regain and right click and select “Copy”.
- Now create the copy of the file by clicking the Home tab and hit on “Paste”
- Now pic the new file you just created and rename it by right-Click > “Rename”.
- Close File Explorer and run Word. Your AutoText blocks, Macros, Styles, etc. will now be available for use in your documents.
- If you still cannot find your content, and there were other templates in your Templates folder to choose from, then shut down Word, go back to your templates folder, delete Normal and go back to step 4.
Even after following the above method if you are not able to restore Word template then don’t worry, as there is one more easy and effective method available to resolve this issue. Read further to know about it.
An amazing application to regain lost word templates is Yodot File Recovery. This tool has a read only property which does not modify original content of file during recovery process. It is developed with advanced scanning technology which helps to scan the selected drive bit by bit to recover lost / deleted files. Along with Word file, this tool has potential to retrieve various file types such as photos, animation, text files, music and other files. Files can be regained from all devices which are formatted with FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5 and extFAT file systems such as USB drive, iPods, pen drives, memory cards, MMC, FireWire drives, etc. This software is compatible to work on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 and 2003 operating systems.
Instructions to use application:
On your Windows system, download and install Yodot File Recovery program. After completion, run the tool and follow on-screen instructions to proceed the process. Then from main screen, select either “Deleted File Recovery” or “Lost File Recovery” option based on file loss situation. Further, tool will scan and display all available drives on the host computer. Select the drive from where you want to extract file and allow it to scan. After scanning it will provide all recovered files in “Data View” or “File Type View” option. Finally, select desired destination location to save regained files from computer.